A few weeks ago SiriusXM started a new channel called “Turbo” and I’ve become a big fan. Recently, a song came on by the band Rage Against the Machine called Guerilla Radio. Now some of you probably aren’t familiar with that song but I’m a huge fan of 90’s alternative, or “grunge”, rock so often times the lyrics resonate with me.
There is a particular section of the song where the singer whispers the following words:
It has to start somewhere.
It has to start sometime.
What better place than here?
What better time than now?
That really got me thinking about my journey that I’ve been on. And that led me to think about all of the people out there who would like to start their own journey, whether it be about weight loss, a better marriage, a new job, or just a better life in general.
I started thinking about what I could do to encourage you to start your journey. Right here. Right now. And I came up with this list of action items that will help you on your way.
I call it my Life Change Pledge.
LIFE CHANGE PLEDGE
I realize and understand that my (insert the area of your life that you want to change: health, marriage, job, finances, etc.) can be better. I know that I am in full control of my actions and only I can make my life what I want it to be.
In an effort to make my life the best that it can be:
(1) I pledge to let the past remain in the past and will focus only on the things that I have control over today. I realize that I cannot go back and change the past but that I can control my actions today.
(2) I pledge to be more patient with those around me. I understand that we all have our issues and problems that we deal with and I will try to be more understanding of others on a daily basis.
(3) I pledge to express gratitude on a daily basis. I am very fortunate to be blessed with all that I have as well as with the people in my life. I will make a conscious effort on a daily basis to express my gratitude for those things and those people.
(4) I pledge to stay focused on the positive and avoid the negative. When I have negative thoughts, or am confronted with negative people or situations, I will remove myself from the situation, if possible, and will affirm the positive things in my life.
(5) I pledge to believe in myself and I will remind myself daily that I am capable fo achieving anything that I set my mind to achieve.
I hope you will take a moment to review the pledge. Print it out. Paste it on your desk. Your bathroom mirror. Or anywhere that you will see it on a regular basis.
You can change any aspect of your life that you want to change.
I want to challenge you to take the Life Change Pledge today